Monday, January 16, 2012

Peanuts

Gary and I like to stock up on supplies when we can find good deals.  Yesterday, we found one of the best we've ever run across.

We went to the new ShopKo Express to see if they had a filter for our humidifier. They didn't but I started looking at Christmas cards and ornaments, which were marked down 90 percent.  On the way out of the store, I saw another display marked down but this time it was packaged food  Each package had three nine ounce cans containing three kinds of peanuts:  salted, butter toffee and honey roasted.  Originally the package was $8.99, but they were 90 percent less, so sold for 89 cents.  That was thirty cents a can!

We took one package home, opened it and found that each can had a "use by" date of September 2013. The peanuts were delicious.

We drove right back to ShopKo and bought ten more.  Gary put half of them aside for summer camping treats.   Later, thinking about it, he went back and bought two more.

And why not? Last summer, with horrible drought hitting our southern states, the Georgia peanut crop failed. The cost of peanut butter will go up and so will the cost of snack peanuts.This morning, I checked out Don's Quality Market here in Seymour and found out that a nine ounce can of peanuts was $2.69

For $11.57, I figure our 39 cans are worth $104.91 and contain enough peanuts to last through 2012.

We spread the word through Facebook.  One friend told me that she thought chopped up butter toffee peanuts would taste wonderful on french vanilla ice cream.

I told Gary we better stock up on ice cream.

----------------------------------------

Yesterday, I wrote the blog and posted it...but I posted it to Black Coffee Fiction by mistake and it wasn't until this morning that Wade noticed it.  My regular readers here probably wondered what happened to me since I write every day.  The Black Coffee Fiction readers must have wondered what kind of short story I was trying to write.

I promise never again to work at the computer while watching "Downton Abbey".

No comments:

Post a Comment