Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Eat Your Veggies

This morning Gary must have read something on nutrition on the Internet, because he told me I should eat more vegetables.  Because we don't eat lunch together, he was unaware that I eat five servings of vegetables every day.

Years ago, I read Dr. Andrew Weil's book Eight Weeks to Optimum Health, and it changed my life.  By following his simple instructions, I began to eat right, exercise every day, and generally take care of myself.

I have a little chart I made up to make sure I eat right.  It sounds obsessive, but I have never had a great short term memory.

Every day, I try to eat:
..two fruits
..a carrot or a yam
..four green vegetables (three times a week that includes a cruciform vegetable such as broccoli or cauliflower; three times a week it must be a dark leafy vegetable such as spinach)
..nuts, preferably walnuts or almonds
..two servings of whole wheat
..yogurt or a dairy equivalent
..fish twice a week
..tofu twice a week

I eat poultry and red meats, too, but sparingly.

That sounds like a lot of food but it is spread out over the week.  I aim at around 1750 calories per day.

I don't get it all right every day, but I make the effort and it has paid off in good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment