Friday, January 20, 2012

Blah Day

The cold weather continues here in northeast Wisconsin.  Gary and I both have had sore throats so are doctoring ourselves with hopes we'll be able to escape Seymour tomorrow for the RV/Camping show in Green Bay.

With not much else to do, I looked around for entertainment.  I've been reading the latest Terry Pratchett book, Snuff.  I've read every one of the Discworld series and enjoyed them so much.  Now I wonder if Snuff will be the last since Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.  The end of a wonderful series is always painful to readers.

I take breaks from Snuff to read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice on the Nook. I'm also starting A Brief History of Canada, by Roger Riendeau.  Americans are abysmally ignorant of Canadian and Mexican history and I am just as bad.  Our schools of higher learning don't teach anything about our neighboring countries unless their history is tied to ours.  Therefore, we know about Pancho Villa because he raided New Mexico, about the dead of Montcalm at Quebec because he would have been the one general who could have beaten Washington during our Revolution. When Gary mentioned "Boy Kelso" I realized I needed to study a bit.

Every so often, I stop reading and click this link:
http://mirrors.5nines.com/stream/

This is one of the most popular sites in Wisconsin just now.  The webcam is following the activities of the General Accountability Board as it verifies the signatures on the 3,000 pounds of recall petitions.  Boring?  Inane? yes, but it gives us the satisfaction of watching the work being done.

The governor keeps claiming that he is bringing jobs to Wisconsin but though the nation is adding jobs, Wisconsin is losing them, almost 4,000 a month.

I find it interesting that the only jobs this governor creates are temporary one.  Dozens of workers will have paychecks for the next two months.  So I check in with them.

Still, it will be good when our throats heal and warmer weather comes to Seymour. I am ready to escape this house.

                * * * * *
Don't forget to check out our short story blog
http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com
Wade has just posted the first half of his post-apocalyptic piece.  We do have a variety of stories for our readers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment