Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye 2011

I've just finished putting all the photos in the 2011 scrapbook. As I say good-bye to the year, I think about how I would rate it.

Politically and economically 2001 was a terrible year, but that didn't affect me all that much.  I do follow politics, almost as an addiction.  I marched in the Madison protests against our governor in March.  I wrote letters of support and signed recall petitions.  I watched the Republican presidential candidates self-destruct, one after another. It was awful for them, but amusing for me.

People are suffering from the bad economy, but I've had a low income for so many years, I'm used to it.  I could give lessons on living on next to nothing.  

From a personal standpoint, 2011 was a wonderful year.  This year, I traveled 8,410 miles to tell stories all the way to the West Coast.  I hiked mountain paths, drove along swollen rivers, waded in the Pacific, and camped in the desert.  And when I was back in Wisconsin, Gary and I camped beside forest lakes and canoed.  I counted cranes, guarded sturgeon and birded.  At the end of the year, I had spotted 105 avian species.

I continue to be healthy.  Even with some bouts with arthritis, I kept on exercising. I swim several times a week, work out with Gary at the fitness center, and continue to walk,  652 miles this year.    

2011 was the year I gave up volunteering and decided to spend the rest of my life writing.  Wade Peterson and I started a short story blog.  Our stories are read by people around the world.  I even self-published a book.  It didn't go anywhere, but now I know how to do it.  I will send more books out to the world in the coming years.

Gary made improvements in Mathom House this year. The dining room is now lovely and he has plans for other parts of the house.  He caulked the windows before cold weather started.  Even with winter winds blowing, we are warm and secure. That man is intelligent, funny and so ready to spoil me.  I am so lucky to have him here.

Then there's my  family.  My son and his wife gave me a cute grandson to play with. Tisha takes time to go shopping with me in the thrift shops. Chris is ready to answer my panicky calls about computer problems.

I have friends around the world and one close friend, Norma. We met 55 years ago.  We still meet several times a year, though she lives in Chicago.  We e-mail almost daily.

And beyond that there are sunrises, sunsets, rainbows, stars, and all the world to explore.

All waiting for me in 2012.  I wonder what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment