Friday, November 4, 2011

Signs of Winter

This morning Atom and I made tracks through the hoarfrost at Nagel Park. The last leaves fell from the trees the Seymour Greenway committee planted along the Newton Blackmour Trail three years ago.  It was so cold Atom's defecation hit the ground steaming.

When I came home, I checked the garden and sure enough, I am finally done with tomatoes.  About two dozen are still ripening on the kitchen windowsill, but once they are in the soup pot tomorrow, I am done with that business until next August.

The percale sheets are packed away until spring.  It's flannel for us until January's deep cold when we change to the fleece sheets which are so thick we sink into them.

I've changed my dresser drawers around so winter clothes are handy.  There's an entire drawer for long underwear.

Gary went grocery shopping this morning and came home with a frozen turkey as well as sage pork sausage for his father's meat loaf recipe.  It's time to think about winter cooking.

He bought suet and more bird seed for our winter avian visitors.  The squirrels will be delighted to see the feeders full again. It's Gary vs. the squirrels.  I don't think he's ever won that battle but he keeps trying.

So winter begins.  Five months from now, I'll be watching for signs of spring.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wade's story, "Felonies and Misdemeanors" is now at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

It's a writer's tale, one that I can certainly relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment