Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Rainy Day Walkies

For the past two and a half days, Dan, the city janitor and I have been taking care of  a friends dog. Atom is staying in the old fire station in one of the kennels kept for strays. The police keep their vehicles there so they are always coming and going...and stopping to pet Atom.  A three-legged stray dog showed up and was kept in the adjacent kennel so Atom even had a roomie, someone to sniff at.  It was company.

Dan walked him four times a day.  The two of them have enjoyed crisp autumn weather. They were great buddies. My job was to feed him and give him his medication twice a day.  Everything was as it should be.

This afternoon Dan left on a hunting trip. Could I take over walkies?  No problem, I thought.  Then it started to rain and it has been raining ever since.  I've taken Atom out twice today, getting soaked both times.  Atom shakes off the rain and stares at me as if to say, where it that other guy?  The one with the good weather.
Once he has done his business, we hurry back to the fire station.  There he can tear around and around the cars in the fire station until he wears himself out.

By Friday, Atom will be home, but I expect Dan and I will still have to walk him for a couple of weeks.  For the time being, we have a dog. It works for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment