Monday, October 31, 2011

Plans for the Day

Every morning, one of us says to the other, "What are your plans for the day?"

Which is silly, because plans never work out.  

Today, I figured on meeting Wade in Appleton to discuss our short story blog. I would buy candy for Halloween munchkins. (I always wait until the last minute so I am not tempted to sample.) I would go to the Methodist church to decorate it for the annual Halloween party then come home to hand out treats. 

It didn't work out that way.  Almost as soon as I was out of bed, I got a call from a friend's father.  She was in the hospital for emergency surgery.  Could I take care of her dog?  

Atom is in fact, our god dog.  Gary and I have helped out a bit in the past with dog food and walks, though I've been so busy lately, I hadn't seen much of him.  Atom has seizures and therein was the problem.  He couldn't be left alone in the apartment.  He couldn't stay here.  Rascal would not stand for it.   No one else could be found to take him home either.  

After trying a few blind avenues, I talked to our city's handyman extraordinaire. He's the kindest man who can fix anything, including other people's problems.  Dan said he would talk to the chief of police about putting Atom up at the city's kennel which is located in the old fire station attached to city hall.  It was an emergency after all.   

First I went to my friend's apartment to take Atom for a much needed walk.  I put on his leash and off we went, for five minutes.  Then he slipped his leash.  There was nothing to do but follow the dog around.  He took me on an interesting walk through people's back yards, along the Little Henry Creek, and down Main Street.  He finally tired out and sat down for a rest.  I got his leash on him and off we went to see the chief of police. 

We settled Atom into his new temporary home.  A previous resident, a golden retriever, had torn the kennel apart, but some repairs had been done.  I went to the apartment, got Atom's dog food and returned to the kennel. He had already escaped and was running around the fire station, examining everything.  I got him back into the crate, wove a couple of leashes through the new opening, and went looking for Dan.  

Dan said he would fix the chain link fencing and take Atom for a couple of walks that afternoon. 

I went home and found an e-mail from Wade telling me he wasn't feeling well and that he couldn't make our meeting.   Gary took me out for a McRib (I have to have one every time they are offered) then we did the final winter clearing out of the camper.  

At this point, trick or treating was approaching and I still had no candy.  We decided to hide out from the little thieves.

I packed up all our Halloween decorations and took them over to the church.two hours later than I intended. I put out jacko'lanterns and strung lights on shrubs and trees.  By the time I was done, the volunteers arrived to make the post trick-or-treating meal of hot dogs, potato chips and other treats but they needed help.   I checked with Dan who had already taken Atom for two walks. Then I started cooking hot dogs.   

Two and a half hours later, all the hot dogs had been eaten by over a hundred party goers and I went home.  

There had been a call from the friend's father.  Had anyone given Atom his pill?  No, but it was the next thing on my list of things to do.

I contacted Dan who could get me into the old fire station.  I collected Atom's pills and dog food at the apartment, met Dan and went to see how Atom was doing.  He was doing fine, because a stray was in the adjoining cage.  They were amusing each other.  I put the pill down Atom's throat, closed his muzzle and stroked his throat. He swallowed it just fine. I will have to give him the next dose at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow.

So Atom was in for the night.  

I came home again to another phone call, this one from my son to report on Evan's evening of trick or treating. I missed Skyping  to see his costume, but photos were taken and will be sent eventually. 

So ends my day.  I wonder what Gary's plans are for tomorrow? 

No comments:

Post a Comment