Saturday, November 5, 2011

Haircuts

Today I got a haircut.  For years, I cut my own hair because I never found anyone who cut it to my satisfaction.  It was a matter of a snip here, a snip there. My hair is naturally wavy and I understood it. It was time consuming, and the back of my hair was always tricky.  I usually tried to find a friend to do the final bit on the back of my neck. The result was OK and free is always good.  (Angela Lansbury cuts her own hair, too.)

Then for some reason, probably a performance, I got a haircut at Hair Graphics from Melissa.  She is a true artist who seemed to intuitively understand the problems of semi-curly hair. She cut it short enough when I explained I wanted a swimmer's cut. When I get out of the pool, especially in the winter, I want hair that I can dry fast. But she also could work with thinning hair. She cut a lot of hair off yet it looked thicker when it was done. She even trimmed my eyebrows. Gary noted that she seemed to trim out most of my white hair.

We've become friendly. Today we talked about her husband's hunting trip, drying apples, and travel.  

She works part time at the hair salon and part time at the grocery store. When I go through the checkout at Don's Quality Market, she tells me when I need a haircut. That's the kind of service you get in a small town.

It's worth it paying for one of Melissa's haircuts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment