Friday, October 21, 2011

Winter Holds Off

There were frost warnings for Northeast Wisconsin for last night.

I was actually looking forward to it because then all gardening would be over and I could settle down to winter sloth.  But as I've written before, my back yard seems to be protected from the worst nature can throw at me.  No frost appeared at all.

So it was back to the garden this morning to find more tomatoes. More tomatoes to ripen on the windowsills. More ripe tomatoes that need to be made into soups, salsa and sauces. I am getting mighty tired of tomatoes.

The flowers in pots are still blooming.  When I came home from camping I thought the flowers would be dead from a frost two weeks ago. I was planning on letting them all die and simplifying my life with a plant-less house this winter. But after last night, there they were, still thriving.  I gave up.  This morning I began bringing in plants to tend during the snowy months.

Now there are asparagus ferns and spider plants hanging in the windows. I've made a bargain with myself.  I will bring in one or two plants each day until freezing weather arrives.  Fine weather is forecast for the next few days.  That means there will be geraniums and begonias sitting on shelves, a pot of oregano in the kitchen, and fresh catnip for Rascal.  

I'll be watering plants all winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment