Saturday, October 22, 2011

German Space Junk

I love meteor showers but for the last few years we've had cloudy skies in Northeast Wisconsin that have covered them.  

Last night we should have seen the Orionids, and I meant to set my alarm clock for 2:00 a.m., but forgot.  The Orionids are a minor shower anyhow, nothing as spectacular as the Persied showers in August.

Tonight, I walked under the stars again.  Though there are no meteors scheduled, there is a German satellite dropping into earth's gravity.  It should drop a ton of residue as it descends and that translates into man made shooting stars.

The night was clear, the stars were shining, and an assortment of satellites slipped across the sky.  I meant to walk a mile but kept on going.  Even with a sore knee, I enjoyed the night. I limped at least two miles. I sat on a bench over in the park for a while looking up at the Big and Little Dippers and working out some other star formations, too.

No space junk dropped on Seymour or passed overhead.  The sky was still worth looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment