Thursday, October 20, 2011

Happiness

     Artur Rubenstein (1887-1982), one of the greatest classical pianists of all time, was often referred to as the happiest man alive.  He explained that he had learned to live unconditionally, with no regrets.
     I read about Rubenstein when I was in my thirties.  His life changed mine.  Never more did I spend time thinking about the past and how I might have done something differently.  I learned the beauty of moving on.
     Lose a job?  No problem, there was always something else to do that turned out to be even more meaningful. Get divorced? Without that divorce, I would never have met Gary.
     I learned that when things went wrong, the result was likely to be a great story. After enough things went wrong, I came to the conclusion that I was capable of working through anything.
     Not so some of the women I've known.  For some, life is one big moan fest. They wallow in misery and do their best to pass it on like a bad cold. They live life conditionally. "I wish..." "I could never..."  "If only..."  "When..."
     This week I put that misery into a short story about Alma, a woman who can't let go of the past and published over at http://blackcoffee.blogspot.com
     I enjoy developing characters and seeing where they take me. Now I am sending out e-mails to librarians, asking them to share what Wade and I are doing with readers in their book clubs.  I offer to be available during their meetings to take questions and comments via instant messages or e-mails.
     Bloggers want and need feedback.  Comments are necessary for growth.
     I am hinting here!

No comments:

Post a Comment