Monday, October 17, 2011

Finding Stories

Today, as always, I was at the aquatic center swimming and chatting with the lifeguards.

I've been telling them that it's about time I wrote a short story about the them. Today one of my favorite guards and I were tossing around ideas.  I asked him if he ever wanted to kill one of the swimmers and that led to one anecdote after another.  Soon, I had the outline of a story. I had motive, means, and place for the murder to happen.

Talking to people is the best way to develop characters and plots. That's why I spend so much time seeking out interesting people on my travels. Each conversation is a mine full of gems to be put into a fictional setting. 

Now I have the idea for the short story.  All that remains is the actual writing. 

That's the tough part.

No comments:

Post a Comment