Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Last Day of the Farmers' Market

It was the last day of  Seymour's Farmers' Market.  The last market of the season and if the managers can't figure things out, the last market ever. It has been held downtown in Nagel Park for three years but has been poorly attended.  The organizers are going to try to find a new location on Highway 54.  If they can't find one, the market is done.

I walked down as usual looking for some good produce.  I found sweet potatoes and cabbage and then the best of all, a Brussels sprout tree.

In other years, our friends Mary and Rick Stellick gave us Brussels sprouts from their garden.  This year, they had no luck, I suppose because of all the rain.  So I was very pleased to find the tree.

Tonight, my job is blanching and freezing sprouts. I expect to get three quarts.

I made cole slaw from the cabbage for supper.. Meanwhile, the last tomatoes from my garden are cooking in the crock pot.   I'm making more spaghetti sauce for winter dining.

The house smells good as we continue the harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment