Thursday, September 22, 2011

Major Prize

When I got back from my storytelling tour towards the end of July, I signed up for the adult summer reading program at the Muehl Public Library here in Seymour.  I do this every summer, but this time, I was about six weeks late in starting.  I had to read six books centered around travel but in six different categories. It was easy though, because I read the books at Laura and Lost Lakes beside campfires.

The day I drove back from our campground at Lost Lake, I was able to stop at the library with my sixth book.  It was August 31st, the last day of the program.  I just squeaked in with my list.

Today, I picked up my prize for completing my books, a little notebook.  It fits in my purse, so I could use it for scribbling down ideas and reminders.  However, the cover is a design of stamps and stickers from foreign countries.  Perhaps I should save it for my next tour.

Notebooks are wonderful in so many ways.  I have them for journaling, listing, ideas, camping notes, all kinds of things.  There are stacks of filled journals in my closet so this was a perfect prize for this writer.

It was not the "major prize" from Jean Shepherd's "A Christmas Story" which is a relief since that was a plastic leg topped with a lampshade...and there is one of those on our head librarian's desk.

You never know what a major prize is going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment