Sunday, September 18, 2011

Packer Day

Another Packer day and I loved it.

I have no idea what team the Packers were playing nor did I care.  What I do liked was that almost all of the residents in Northeast Wisconsin were stationed in front of television sets and were not out and about.  On Packer days any activity is better.

I went swimming this afternoon in an almost empty pool at the aquatic center.  It was just me and the lifeguards having chats about colleges they plan on attending, parties they've been to, and whatever I have been up to.  My knee exercises go so much better when I can talk to them.  That almost never happens on the weekend but on Packer day, we talk and talk and talk.

Sometimes I go on hikes through nature centers on Packer day.  No worries about hunters with their guns.  They are all watching the Pack. Other than the leaves crunching under my feet, the forests are silent. I wallow in autumn.

Then comes the holiday shopping season.  The stores are crowded and tiresome...except when the Green Bay Packers are playing.  If there are any men around, they are stationed in front of television sets.  The few women are like me:  get in, grab your purchase, pay for it and get out.  I can do all my shopping in less than two hours, thanks to the Green Bay team.

Once a friend asked me why I don't watch the games.  I never watch anything but the last quarter, inning or period in any sport, I told her.  That's the only part that really counts.

"Oh," she said.  "You like to cut through all the crap."

She got that right.

No comments:

Post a Comment