Sunday, June 12, 2011

Organizing the Gear

This morning, Gary set up my tent and went at it with sealers to make sure it's watertight.  He wanted to give me a second back up tent, but my backup is the station wagon.  If the tent starts to leak, I'll simply buy another tent on the road, as I have in the past. My current tent has served me well for five years.  I bought it for $29.95.  

I am taking two sleeping bags, however: one lightweight, and one good in below freezing temperatures.  I will be camping in high altitudes and that can get mighty cold.  A few years ago, I camped at the 4th of July pass west of Boulder in the last week of June. The temperature dropped so low the water in my water bottle was frozen solid.  I was prepared with my two sleeping bags and stayed for two nights with no discomfort.

Gary and I are having many discussions about packing.  He keeps trying to add things saying "It doesn't take up much room."   Say that too often, and all that stuff takes up plenty of room.

I want something to hold my papers, maps, computer, books, and so on, in the front of the car where I can easily get at them.  I need a place for my performance clothes and autoharp.  Then I need the camping gear and both cold and warm weather hiking clothes.  I want to leave half of the back of the car clear so I can sleep back there in a pinch.  Everything has to have an absolute use or it stays at home.

Today, Gary gave me his camera to use on the trip.  It's smaller than mine so I can stick in in my pocket when I want to go for a hike.  The first photo I took was of the two tents.  The one I'll take is on the right.  

I'll spend the next three days working on the garden.  On Thursday, I do the laundry.  On Friday, I'll bake some things for the weekend, and finish up the maps I'm printing out.  On Saturday and Sunday, there's a weekend outing for the Summer Solstice.  I return home Sunday night and do the final packing on Monday morning.  I intend to leave at noon on Monday.  

Follow my travels at this blog.  I intend to post daily.  

No comments:

Post a Comment