Thursday, June 16, 2011

Eating on the Road

Gary and I have different ideas about camping.  He's a pack rat and I'm a minimalist.  He wanted me to bring his two burner camp stove, but all I need is a one burner stove that attaches to a propane tank.  I can cook all I need with that.   I don't need the cooler he offered either.  Ice costs $2.00 a bag in most places and a cooler is messy, especially when it leaks in the car.

This is how I eat when I am on the road:

When I wake up I boil water, usually on the little stove, but sometimes, in really bad weather, in the little pot that plugs into the cigarette lighter in my car.  With the hot water, I make tea and oatmeal or cream of wheat cooked from a packet. An alternative, when the weather is cool enough, is a slice of whole grain bread and peanut butter. In hot and humid weather, however, the bread quickly goes moldy.

I break camp and head out.  Mid-morning, I stop at a grocery store for some fresh fruit.  If there's a deli, I'll buy a salad to take along and eat it at a wayside for lunch.  If there's no deli, I might stop for fast food.  I like sub sandwiches and tacos. Wendy's has a good Caesar salad.  In the afternoon, I might get an ice cream.

For supper, it's another deli takeout or packets of dried food that only require water and my cook stove. I strive to eat balanced meals.

Every scrap that is left is taken to the dumpster or burned in a fire pit. I don't want any food at my campsite that might attract bears or other critters.  The packets of dried food are stored in a tight container in the car.

If I were staying in one spot for a week or so, I might cook more complicated meals with coolers and double burners.  But I'm not.  Simplicity is what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment