Monday, June 13, 2011

Maps

Today, I had to get more printer ink so I could finish printing the maps that give me the instructions to get  to the libraries where I'll be performing in the next few weeks.

Today at our critique session, Nikki, another cross country traveler, reminded me that Mapquest is not very accurate when it comes to estimating time.  When I am traveling along curving mountain road, I'll have to give myself much more time. (She figured out I would be passing through Redding, California, where she used to work.)

In fact, my plan is to camp in the vicinity of the next library each night, so I should have no problem getting to venues on time.  If the day's trip takes five hours according to Mapquest, I figure in another two hours. If it doesn't take that long, that's more time in the campground to relax.  The trip is set up so I should be on the road no more than seven hours each day.

I plan on checking the internet for upcoming road conditions as I go along.

There will be problems, but that is what makes traveling interesting. Asking directions of locals, getting lost, finding scenic treasures on lonely country roads, these are things that make the story of a trip fun.

One week to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment