Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Little Setbacks

Gary informed me tonight that the North Dakota campground I was planning on staying at a week from Thursday has been closed due to the danger of floods.  Ft. Abraham Lincoln State Park sits on the banks of the Missouri River which has been flooding.  However, that is today, and I don't plan on getting there until June 23.  There's no way of knowing what the Missouri River will be doing by then.

I don't see this as a problem, since the campgrounds I listed on my itinerary are merely markers.  I often change my mind as I travel.  There is another state park to the south that I could go to in a pinch though even that park could be crammed full of evacuees in RVs.

Years ago, on my way through North Dakota, I had to drive a couple of hours west to Glen Ullin because there was a baseball tournament of some kind in Bismarck and there was no room in campgrounds or motels for miles around.  I ended up in an old motel in a room that reeked of cats.  Late at night, beggers can't be choosers.

I had to turn around and drive back to Bismarck the next day to do the scheduled performance. I scrubbed the cat smell off in the library restroom and hit the stage on time.  

These little setbacks make for good stories.  Who knows?  I could wind up on a sandbag crew.  Stranger things have happened!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment