Friday, June 17, 2011

Go to Bed

Once again, I'm playing “Let's Fool Grandma” with Evan. We are going through the usual tricks from two weeks ago, but tonight there is no loose tooth to give him an excuse to get up.He had his evening snack, he changed into his jammies, he brushed his teeth. He told me he was out of toothpaste, but Grandmas know how to squeeze the last little drop out of any tube.

We read the usual three books. At six, he is reading himself now so it won't be long before he doesn't need anyone to read to him, except for a grandmother's joy in it.

He tried to tell me the water beside his bed wasn't exactly right, but that's an old trick. The nightlight was on and we recited the old phrase that I said to his daddy when he was little: “Love you, love you, love you, see you tomorrow, see you tomorrow, night, night, night, night, night.” Though of course I won't see him tomorrow. It will be August before we meet again. I gave him a hug and a high five.

So off to bed he went. For the moment. He looked out his window and saw a rabbit and a bird, which information he came out to share with me. I suppose I should be happy he's observing nature, but their yard is full of rabbits that yearly destroy his mommy's garden so that was not much of an announcement.

“Back to bed,” I ordered.

A few minutes later he was up to demand that when his mommy and daddy come home they should wake him up to give him a hug.

“I'll mention it to them,” I said. “Now get back to bed.”

He popped up again to ask if they were back. I told him that they were at a movie that would take longer that an hour to watch. “The Green Lantern? I love that movie!” Of course, he hasn't seen it yet so that was a fib.

“My tummy hurts.” We decided it was hunger so he got a granola bar his mother said he could have. He washed that down with milk and back to bed he went.

Then some of Chris and Tisha' friends stopped by to show them their motorcycles. They said they would come back the next day but that was enough to have the curious jack-in-the-box up to see what was going on.

So now I sit waiting for the next pop up Evan event and thinking about the new book read by Samuel L. Jackson about the frustrations of putting a child to bed. The video went viral on the internet until it was pulled by the publisher.

Hilarious, until one is in exactly the same situation.





No comments:

Post a Comment