Saturday, February 12, 2011

More bargains

Whenever I get a tax refund, I try to spend it on some necessary upkeep.  Two years ago, it went toward eye surgery, a year ago, to doctors examining my injured knee and for some dental work.  This year, with nothing much wrong with me, I could use the money on the house.  When I received my state tax refund two days ago, I set $150 aside to replace ceiling tiles in the living room.

This week, the tiles went on sale at my favorite home improvement store, plus there was a $2.00 rebate on each of the thirty tiles I needed for a total of $60 back. Because I waited to make my purchase until today, I could get an additional eleven percent off on anything I bought, and another 2 percent if I used the store credit card.  I fished that card out of my carefully stashed pile of never used cards and off I went.  

While I was at it, I bought more sale/refund items:  toilet paper, facial tissue, extension cords, candles, laundry detergent, and reading glasses.  In all, I spent $157 and will get $105 refund back in the form of  store credits.  The refund should arrive by mid-April, when I will go the garden center for all my seeds, seedlings, and plants.  I usually budget about $100 for the spring planting, so that works out perfectly.  

I've already made out a check for $157 to pay for today's purchases to make sure the money doesn't slide through my fingers before the bill is paid.  Interest is never part of my figuring.

Gary is putting the new ceiling in as I type.  I love bargains almost as much as I love having a resident handyman.  

No comments:

Post a Comment