Friday, February 11, 2011

A bargain

Being in the arts requires watching every penny.  Certainly, someone like me never gets rich at their craft.  I'm not complaining, I've had a full and rich life, but it has meant watching for bargains.

About two weeks ago I went to the Fox River Mall in Grand Chute, Wisconsin, to take a walk.  With sub-zero outdoor temperatures, the malls are about the only place to take long walks. Each circuit of this mall is a mile.  I walked three.

As I was ending my walk, I went past the Sears store and noticed a rack of clothes on clearance. Leggings, the kind word under tunics, were marked down to around $5.  I bought one, thinking they would be perfect for yoga because of the gathered material around the ankle. I figured the legs wouldn't ride up.

That proved to be true of yoga, but the leggings also worked as pajama bottoms and long underwear.  They were perfect for a Wisconsin winter.

Last Friday I was back walking in the mall.  The rack was gone but I hunted down the leggings and picked out two more pairs.  When I went to the checkout desk, the clerk told me that if I applied for a Sears credit card, I would get $10.00 off my purchase.  I signed up and with all the markdowns, my total bill was six cents.

I've applied for cards like that before, and now I have to tell you that I never use them.  I don't like to run up charges.  The credit cards go to a safe place and in a year, I cut them up and cancel the account.  Then a year or two later, I'll open another account when there's a good deal.

Gary says I am singlehandedly wrecking the economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment