Monday, November 1, 2010

North Dakota

I'm midway into contacting the North Dakota librarians.

North Dakota is one of my favorites among the states.  For those of you who don't know:

North Dakota public schools usually score the highest in tests among all the United States.  When I am performing there, I urge the kids to study less so that Wisconsin can have a chance.  (We usually come in second or third, depending on Iowa.)  They laugh at me and keep right on studying.

The North Country trail runs from Lake Sakakawea to Crown Point, New York.  I've hiked some of the Wisconsin stretches and want to add some from North Dakota this time around.

North Dakota has some of the cleanest campgrounds anywhere.  I like Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Turtle River State Park and many more.  The Peace Garden goes over the border to Canada and is maintained by students from both countries.  There are good campgrounds on either side.

North Dakota has spirit.  When the Red River overflows, students and adults are out manning the banks, sand bagging the levies.  One of my fondest tee-shirts was "Fargo, where the beach is in a bag."  Fargo is cosmopolitan, with its own ballet troupe and fabulous restaurants.   Also of note, they saved their elm trees on either side of the river, so Moorhead and Fargo have giant groves.

The libraries are fantastic, well stocked with enthusiastic children.  What more do I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment