Friday, January 3, 2014

Winter Gardening

It's a brutal winter here in Wisconsin with extreme cold.  Add to that a terrible strain of flu.  I am better and I did manage to get out briefly today, but spring is so far away.

To make Wisconsin winters bearable, I garden in the warmth of Mathom House.

I started forcing bulbs on New Year's Day.  I have pots of tulips and daffodils that should show sprouts by mid-February and bloom at the end of that month.

Gary bought a hibiscus shrub in September.  I have it in a big pot and am babying it along until spring when we'll plant it in the front yard.

The Christmas cactus is still blooming and probably will for a month or two yet.  The ckalanchoes plant Gary gave me a couple of years ago is blooming.  I've started two more plants from the original and they've all taken off.


So  I tend my garden and wait for the real spring, only 75 days away.

My readers are joining in the countdown by suggesting summer songs.  Today Gary asked for one of his favorites, "Summer Wine" by Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQiDs9tKZv4


Spend part of this winter evening reading Wade Peterson's lastest short story "Secret Identity". at Black Coffee Fiction.  http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com/2014/01/secret-identity.html  This story took me back to my college days.  I had a little dress I wore to various receptions around the campus.  Free food!

So we survive somehow or another.  I am still not well and from time to time, my posts here and in other places come out garbled.  Gary thinks I am trying to write Elvish.

Stick with me.  Sooner or later, I'll recover.


No comments:

Post a Comment