Friday, January 17, 2014

Ducks in a Row

Today was a day o getting all my ducks in a row ... in other words, getting organized.

We began with the bank.  We arranged for Chris to have access to my checking account.  All my bills are paid but there will be times he might need cash ... a funeral comes to mind and now he has a way to get the ball rolling should he need to. Not that I am eager to get there, but I want to make it as easy as possible if it comes to that.

Next we went to see Perry Pierre, attorney.  Perry was my mother's neighbor and I worked with him on many community issues.  He is completely trustworthy, shares our views on environmental issues.  Except for one.  Perry has undertaken ridding Rock Ledge Park of gophers by shooting them with  bow and arrows.  Better than poisons, I expect.  When Gary got o his will, h suggested establishing a preserve for gophers. Perry saw the humor in that.

In the end, both Gary and I made the usual bequests, but if there are no heirs when it comes to the end,our money would go to the Nature Conservency which buys wild lands to save them from development. He also wanted a bequest to the Genesee Club in Applton with thanks for his many years of sobriety.  

In some ways, we can avoid wills enirely by PODs or payment on death.  Gary has some certificates at the bank. My nam is on them with PODs.  Should he die, I would get that money.  Now I have the same set up for Chris and my account.  Th same thing will happen with his house though Gary will have a small mortgage because he has helped so much with the bills.

OK, that was taken care of, to my relief.   Then I go to Froedert Hospital in Milwaukee on next Friday.  I have an appointment there for one more test.  Then we decide if I have the surgery.

Meanwhile Tisha, Chis and Evan will be here this weekend to take down the Chrismas tree.  My brother Carl will be here for a visit.

Then we'll go to the RV/camping show in Geen Bay.  Yes there will be lots of walking but every camper has a bed and lounging chairs.  If I am tired, I can rest. We'll meet our friends he Stellicks there.

So I keep making plans.  I have a ways to go yet.  








No comments:

Post a Comment