Sunday, October 13, 2013

Writing

The Packers had a game today. I've never been a football fan and after watching a PBS documentary last night about the incidence of brain damage in the players and the attempts of the National Football Association to cover up the effects of concussions, I doubt I will ever watch another game.

So instead of television, I worked on re-doing an e-book. When I self-published Decades of Love and Other Disasters with Create Space in the spring, the company did a superb job on the paperback, but when their website said they could do the e-book for me, I didn't realize I would still have to do the up front work. The e-book came out with some serious problems which I should have repaired by the end of this week. I was too busy over the summer to attack that project.

Once the e-book is done, I will turn my attention to Going Down From Gairloch, the novel I hope to have done by the end of the year.  This book, too, had problems. The flow was all wrong. By last November I couldn't see my way clear to finishing it so I put it aside. While camping this summer, I let the thing churn around in my head and suddenly, I found the problem.  Chapter Five belongs at the end of the book, it was that simple. It means some minor re-writes on Chapters One and Four but it should work. I hope to have it done within the next month.

I still have to write six short stories before January 1st and the second short story collection is about to come out, too.  But it will all happen.  

I have so many stories to tell, but first I needed to get these out of the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment