Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Oven Baking

We have a stove in the camper but during the hot days of the summer we did our cooking in the cook tent on my decades old propane stove.  Now, however, the weather has turned cold so we are cooking inside to help keep the camper warm.

I began my career as a cook in my youth in the old farmhouse on French Road south of Seymour. We had a gas stove then and I was used to it. After college I had gas stoves in my apartments but by the time I moved to Seymour I had electric stoves.  The houses I bought in came with the stoves as part of the sales agreement. So for over thirty years, I had electric stoves and hated them. They took too long to heat up and after the cooking was done, they continued to be hot, heating the house when I didn't want it heated.  

I turned more and more to the microwave to cook most everything.

Now I have the gas stove in the camper.  I get up in the morning, turn on the stove and in minutes, have hot water for my tea and a burbling coffee pot for Gary.  Yes, we have a microwave in the camper, but to use it, would have to turn on the generator outside. Not something I want to do when the temperatures are near freezing. Indeed, the microwave never runs all that well on a generator, so we won't use it until we have an electrical hookup. Most national forest campgrounds are too rustic for that.

Tonight, we decided to have baked potatoes and salad for supper. That is when we discovered that neither of us knew how to bake a potato in an oven. For decades, our baked potatoes were done in microwave ovens. How should we set the temperature? With no cookbooks on hand, we finally looked up the instructions on the internet.  

Is that pathetic or what? Probably, but boy, were those potatoes good. When we finally find our new home, I am going to insist on a gas stove.   

No comments:

Post a Comment