Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cold but We Have Books

With rain all day and now frost warnings for the evenings, we are reading up a storm.  

I just finished Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls, essays by David Sedaris. Sedaris is funny but what I found annoying is that he covered topics I was considering for this blog, only better. I've been journaling longer than him, yet he wrote a definitive account of diary writing that I can't beat. I was planning on writing a post about little old ladies who go through fast food places dithering about what they want to order than poking around in their purses for exact change oblivious to the dozen people in line behind her. Sedaris already wrote an essay about that. His thoughts on American tourists match mine. So there are three blog ideas I had scribbled in my my Storytelling Trails and Tales idea book that I can now cross off. 

I'm in the middle of Zealot, The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth, by Reza Aslan. Aslan was interviewed on the Fox Network by some pundit that had obviously not even gotten past the introduction. It is a wonderful look at Judea of the first century, written from the non-Biblical historical sources. The book is 296 pages long but the last 80 pages are notes, sources and bibliography. You can't catch Aslan, a renowned scholar of religion, on his facts. 

For lighter reading, I have Courting Trouble, a mystery by Lisa Scottoline, which is on CD. I've been listening to that on the car radio.  There's also the second book in The Bartimaeus Trilogy, The Golem's Eye, by Jonathan Stroud.  

I have several books on the Nook for night time reading. My Nook is back lit so I don't have to have a light on which would disturb Gary.  But so far, I've only gotten through a few chapters of Queen Lucia. I sleep soundly when camping.

I continue to work on crossword puzzles to help my memory but I can't say either Gary or I are doing all that well in the memory department. Today he forgot his cell phone at an Iron River eatery and we had to go back for it.  I have to remind him about his blood pressure medication. 

I may have forgotten something, too, but to tell the truth, I can't remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment