Sunday, September 22, 2013

Bumper Crop

I planted the apple tree when Aaron Bloedorn, who lived next door, was fourteen and being confirmed. I told him I would make a pie for his wedding.

Well, over the years, the tree grew and after a few years, I had apples, but they were all wormy. It never got any better.  Last year, with drought, there weren't even all that many apples, wormy or not. This year, Aaron's mother told me he is getting married in November. Too bad, I said, I can't make that apple pie I promised.

As we all know, the rains came this spring. The apple tree blossomed, and the bees got busy.  The result was a bumper crop of apples.  All wormy, I thought, what a waste.  But my friend Susan, who has many apple trees and like me, doesn't spray them with insecticides, told me that the highest apples often are fine. Today, I decided to start picking. Sure enough, the apples at the center of the tree were very wormy but the ones at the farthest end of each branch were fine.  For every ten apples, only one was any good, but with hundreds of apples, I soon had a bag full.

Tonight, there's an apple pie in the oven and soon, a couple of loaves of apple bread will join it.  Because I picked apples with Chris, Tisha and Evan yesterday, I have more apples that need to be dealt with but now that we have electricity in our new camp site, I will be able to run the dehydrator to make apple chips. Because it is cold in the camper at this time of year, I can use the oven there and make even more tasty treats.

As for Aarons's wedding, I may get that pie made after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment