Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Apples

Last night Paul and Leanne, two campers, stopped by for apple pie, chocolate almond ice cream and hot lemonade. I made the apple pie from the Winesap's apple tree in the back yard.  It was pronounced delicious. Leanne even knew about Winesap's. She, too, ate them when she was a child. I talked about climbing the tree in the orchard at our farm, hiding from the world under its branches, and reading books. From time to time, I reached out to pick a tart apple to munch on in my retreat.

Paul and Leanne are avid campers who have been all over the United States in their little camper. They used to camp in tents but the grizzlies out West made them nervous after a while.  They travel with four cats they've rescued. Our favorite is Matey, who is blind in one eye. His full name is Arrggghhh Matey, because he looks like a pirate. They would never leave any of them behind. They've been abandoned before.

We swapped camping stories until late.

I began this morning with a big Honey Crisp apple, which I got at an orchard with Chris, Evan, and Tisha.  It is everyone's favorite with just the right combination of crunch and sweetness. I counted the apples and found I should have just enough to be my morning fruit for the rest of our camping season.

Gary had to go to Iron River to do his laundry but I stayed at the campground with the Cortland apples we picked. The dehydrator was in the cook tent plugged into the host site's electricity, so all I had to do was process the apples with the corer/peeler/slicer. It is a nifty gadget we picked up at a rummage sale a couple of years ago.  In ten minutes, I had the apples slices arranged on the dehydrator. Then it was a matter of waiting 4-1/2 hours. I now have six snack bags of apple chips. I'll be doing this every day while we are on the campsite. By the time we leave for Laura Lake on September 30, I should have enough apple chips to last the winter.

The only worry about processing apples is the fear of attracting critters, so I cleared the apples trimmings and put them in the dumpster at the park entrance. I washed all the utensils thoroughly when I was done. No bears so far, but I admit the chipmunks and red squirrels were mighty interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment