Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Autumn Color

Friends from further south asked about the autumn color show up here, thinking to drive up this weekend. The colors aren't strong here at Lake Ottawa, probably because the 500 acre lake moderates the temperatures in the area. However, I had seen quite a bit of fall color when I drove back here on Monday. Today, Gary and I took a drive to see if we could find out what was happening.

We drove into Iron River, West on Highway 2 to Sandy Lake Road which took us south.

We found plenty of color though not always a good place to pull of the road to take photos. Another problem is that when the color in the hills is at 100 percent, the photos come out as blobs of yellow and orange unless punctuated with some deep green conifers. And then there was the time of day. The best fall photos are taken early in the morning or later in the evening when the sun is close to setting.

Still, it was a drive into Autumn with bright colors everywhere.  We stopped at little Wisconsin lakes and rivers, some we had never seen. We stopped along the Brule River, which forms part of the border between Wisconsin and the UP.

Then this evening I walked down to the boat landing and beach and took more photos which were more colorful than the ones I took around noon.


I
I'll try to take better photos as the the week goes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment