Friday, August 23, 2013

Zen Driving

I have to spend a few days in Seymour.  I wanted to discuss a new book with Wade via Skype this afternoon, watch grandson Evan tomorrow so his parents could go to a reunion, celebrate friend Susan's birthday, and set up our local writers' book stand at the farmers' market.  So at 9:30, I left Stevens Lake to make the two and a half hour drive. The Subaru was low on gas so I had to get to Laona to fill up.  It would make sense to follow the route to Highway 70 to Highway 139 to Highway 8.

Me, follow the sensible path?  Never happens.

When we checked out the bridge over Mainline Creek yesterday, we found that the Stevens Lake Road ended at Thrasher Road.  There was a sign that pointed to Long Lake, six miles away. Long Lake is on highway 139. I drove that way.

Thrasher Road led to Long Lake Road, but which way to go now?  I figured if I kept the sun over my left shoulder I would be heading south, but had no idea if that would lead to Long Lake.  After a long long time, I decided I was probably driving away from Long Lake.  I thought to turn around but then noticed the "McArthur Pine Road" sign.

The McArthur Pine was planted as a tribute to General Douglas McArthur I knew. Part of it is still there though some vandal tried to destroy it some years back. It is listed as one of the sites to see in one of the National Forest's guides.  What the heck, I would still be heading east toward Highway 139, though it turned out to be yet another curvy road through a forest. Keeping the sun on one's back doesn't work all that well when the trees hide the sun.



I drove for a few miles along McArthur Pine Road.  I never saw a sign for the pine and finally came to the end of that road.  Now what?  Should I turn right or left?

With no clue I went back to Zen driving.  I turned left.  In another mile I came to a fork in the road.  As Yogi Berra once said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Well, I turned left last time, I might as well turn right now, onto "Double Curve Road".  There was indeed a double curve but then I came to civilization.  Houses, people and there beside the road an ATV driver.

"Where am I and how do I get out of here?" I asked.

"Where do you want to go?"

"Laona."  This was a small town but there was no sign of a gas station.

"Go through the next to stop signs and turn right."

I followed his instructions, discovering I was in Newald.  I had seen the sign for it for years but never visited it.  Sure enough I came to Highway 139 and about twenty minutes later came to Laona and according to the Subaru's instrument panel, would have had enough gas to go another 40 miles.  I

I finished the rest of the trip on the usual route and was here at Mathom House with ten minutes to spare before Wade Skyped in and we started to figure out what we need for our next short story collection.

I have no intention of giving up my wandering ways.  When I get lost, I always learn something.

-----------
Wade finished Part 2 of his latest Michael and Corncob story at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com
with an explanation about weird weather patterns.  

No comments:

Post a Comment