Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Stevens Lake

All day yesterday and this morning, Gary packed up all the camping gear so we could move from Lost Lake to Stevens Lake.  My few things took fifteen minutes of stowing in the car and I was off.  I had to take the drive to Stevens Lake first.  The road is graveled and curvy.  There was no point in Gary pulling the camper on that bumpy surface if there were no campsite available. Most national forest campgrounds don't take reservations.  So I was the scout on this expedition.

Not only were there sites available but the one we wanted, site 1 had cleared on Sunday, according to the only other campers, a little family on site four.

Gary, arrived, backed in the camper, and we were all set.  He doesn't plan on staying here more than a few days so won't put up the cook tent and all the accouterments.  I will be leaving for a few days starting on Friday so he will be here alone.  From here we will progress to Lake Ottawa for a longer stay.

Our new lake is 300 acres with good fishing.  Most of it is surrounded by vacation cottages but the national forest has a small corner.  Our spot is against that old forest.  The trees are so tall I expect to see Ents coming out to greet us.

We didn't spend much time there over the afternoon.  The lake breezes called.  If the wind blew, we were in heaven.  When it stopped, the mosquitoes came tearing over to plague us.  Lucky for us, the wind was pretty steady.  We sat, read and chatted while noting our neighbors:  loons, kingfishers, mergansers, black backed woodpeckers, and eagles.

I spotted something unusual out on the water. Gary got out his binoculars and we were surprised to see it was an otter out fishing.  Otters always seem to be having such a good time.  What a joy to watch him!  I commented that it had been several years since we had seen otters on the Wolf River.  "Yes," Gary said. "It is unusual.  I guess that makes him a significant otter."  (Groan may be inserted here.)

I had to forgive Gary for that because this is a special day:  his 19th anniversary of sobriety.  Those have been celebration years for me, too.

I told Gary we should make a point of visiting every lake in Wisconsin but he said it would take us the rest of our lives just to visit all the lakes in Vilas County.  He is probably right.

No comments:

Post a Comment