Thursday, August 29, 2013

Working and Vacationing

Today I wanted to finish the short story I must have by tomorrow, but things never quite work out the way I think they will.

Gary said we had to go to Iron River to get something.  I thought about refusing to go along but it seemed to be important. We wound up at a jewelry store. No, not for a diamond for me, but to pick up my key chain which he had engraved. This way, if I lose the key (likely) the person who finds it can call me.

We had lunch at the Beefaroo, which has a marvelous spinach salad, stopped at St. Vincent de Paul (nothing new there),got gas for the generator, and then hurried home because company was coming to our campsite.  And sure enough, Brad and Marilee arrived. We met them at Beaver Lake some years ago, and have kept the friendship going.  Brad and Gary share insults about the Bears and Packers. Marilee and I commiserate about our partners in life.

It began to rain. We sat in the cook tent and chatted.  We agreed to meet tomorrow night to celebrate Gary's 19th anniversary of sobriety at Fritz's in Long Lake.

Tonight, rain pounds on the roof of the camper.  It will be cool sleeping.

Somehow, I haven't finished the story, so the alarm will be set for 5:00 a.m. The story is almost complete but it will still take two or three hours of hard work.  And who knows what tomorrow will bring? 

2 comments: