Monday, August 26, 2013

Walking the Dog Days

It's the Dog Days of August, hot, humid, miserable. I want to keep on walking, but that means exercising early in the morning or late at night.

Tonight, I walk alone on the streets of Seymour.  Through bay windows I can see people inside their homes watching television as their air conditioners hum. I remember back to the days of my youth when people sat on their porches to get cool breezes. In those days, people would have been calling out to passersby like me. Now, just quiet.

Overhead, the bats are flying.  I doubt they are catching much, mosquito season seems to be over. Maybe they are eating the moths circling the street lights or the cicadas chirping in the bushes.

I stop at Don's to get some chewing gum and to see who's around.  The entire city council is there shopping after their Monday night meeting. I talk to the city clerk who says it's a quiet month in Seymour. There are some issues about the recent strong winds in the area.  The tornado siren failed to sound. The county will have to explain about that.

I walk south over to Rock Ledge Park but the skies are getting darker. It could rain soon. It makes sense to circle around my home so I can get home quickly when the rains start. I circle around the elementary school which is well lit.

When I figure I've walked two miles I go home.

Gary is on line from Lake Ottawa in the Ottawa National Forest in the UP,  telling me he has been walking around, too. In two more days, I will be there walking with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment