Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hot and Humid

Whenever there are high heat warnings from the weather forecasters, they tell viewers to keep an eye on senior citizens who could suffer. They should be checked on frequently. Today, I realized, I am a senior citizen and perhaps someone should check on me.

Today I ran the local writers' tent at the farmers' market here in Seymour. Susan and her two grandsons helped me set up the screen tent, then I was ready for a long sit.

The sun was beating down on those of us selling our wears but not on many purchasers. I read, did puzzles and talked to other vendors. I had an chest full of ice and dipped my cup in from time to time. A few people stopped by, not to buy books but to talk about books they intended to write.  And the heat index rose.

I took two breaks to go to the mini mall adjacent to the market:  first, to go to the post office to have our mail held for another week; and second, to go to Family Dollar to use their rest room and to buy some chicken salad and crackers for lunch.  I went back to the tent and perspired some more.

I talked to more people, ate some Storheims' frozen custard (Death by Chocolate), bought some vegetables. And it got hotter.

After three hours, a new vendor arrived, a young man with some lovely metal sculptures of trees along and some interesting jewelry.  He had a table and a chair but no cover from the shade.  I asked him if he would be all right and he said sure.  He had two bottles of lemonade. In fifteen minutes, he had finished off the lemonade.

Even with cover, a tree overhead and a cooler full of ice, I felt myself getting sick.  I called the young artist over and made him an offer.  He could have my screen tent.  I don't have any expectation of coming back to the farmers' market. Gary and I will be camping all the way into October.  If by chance I do find time for the market in the next six weeks, he and I will share it.  Meanwhile, he's got shade.  And me, I could leave without having to take down the tent. And remember, I bought that tent for $1 at a rummage sale.  No big loss.

I threw all the books and my chairs into my car and went directly home to take a very cold shower.




No comments:

Post a Comment