Friday, August 30, 2013

Hardware, Haircuts and Fish

I had to get up early this morning to finish writing this week's short story. I began writing about an obsessive housewife and wound up writing about a small town hardware store. The housewife disappeared but will likely show up in another story some day. I have a nice collection of ideas so I don't expect to run out of stories in the future.

Our Internet service appears and disappears here in the northern woods.  When all else fails, we drive in to Iron River and Angeli's Supermarket where we can always get on line. That is what happened today. Because we were in Iron River anyhow, we decided it was time for haircuts. We were both getting shaggy. Gary had been to Josie's once before so we decided have her cut both our locks.  Her fee is a mere $10 a cut. I figured my hair would always grow back before my next book talk. No appointments were necessary, she only took walk-ins.

While we waited in the barbershop I looked over the magazines.  They were mostly about hunting, fishing and the military. I watched Josie cut the hair of the client before us.  She had a high powered electric cutter that not only trimmed but sucked up the hair as she worked. No brooms were necessary in this shop. I had seen trimmers like that in the barns at the county fair ... and in movies about raw recruits.

When I sat down I said, "You gave haircuts in the military, didn't you?"  Sure enough, Josie was a barber in the U. S. Air Force.  The haircuts from were fast and furious.  They weren't the careful trims I get from Melissa at Hair Graphics (she even trims my eyebrows) but Josie's are neat and do the trick. Gary went next and soon we were at Angeli's where I could post my short story.

It can be found at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

Sometime this week we will received our 15,000th "hit", quite an achievement as we come to the end of our second year of posting short stories.

This evening another outing.  We met Brad and Marilee, their son Ryan and his friend Matt at Fritz's in Long Lake where we would introduce them to that Wisconsin tradition: the Friday night fish fry. It was a time of laughter and camp talk. Ryan and Matt will be hiking around Laura Lake, a great adventure for them. Matt has never seen a bear in the wild.  I wonder if he will this time around?

And so our day ends.  I've been up since 5:00 a.m. so I am calling it an early night.




I

No comments:

Post a Comment