Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Viewing

Today Gary and I went to look at a piece of property in Upper Michigan.  On twelve acres there was a house; a chicken coop and fenced in chicken yard set around pine trees; a fabulous vegetable garden, again fenced in; a dog kennel, more fencing; two two car garages, one with a tall door; and a covered area for a camper.

To my way of thinking it was perfect.  There was plenty of storage space, room to roam, the Ottawa National Forest across the road, places to hike and the city of Iron River not far away.  I queried the real estate agent who told me there was a good EMT squad that would take us to the nearby hospital if need be. There were two local swimming pools and fitness centers. There's a fine library and even a writers' group I could join.
 
But we will not be living there.  Gary felt the rooms were too small, in fact the entire house was too small. He explained he wanted the big wide open rooms that his previous home held.  But he also wants the storage area, the big piece of property, the forests.

His sister Kathe has been looking at houses for years and has yet to find the one she wants.  I see this as being an ongoing theme with Gary, too.

So I am trying to settle my mind back to the house in Seymour.  We are likely to live there for years while he looks for the perfect home.  I don't mind this so much, but I don't want to  be part of the looking process.  I hate shopping for clothes, shoes, furniture, electronic gear....anything. I finally put my foot down on going to Walmart, surely one of the most depressing shopping experiences ever created. Gary doesn't drag me in there any more.

And he is on his own in his quest for the perfect house.  When he finds it, he can let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment