Friday, August 16, 2013

Chute Pond Overlook

Tonight, I am back in Seymour to take care of mail, finances and vegetables.

Usually, I take a direct route home, stopping in Townsend for ice cream and in Bonduel to buy bread and fruit. But today, I stopped at the Lakewood ranger station to pick up some brochures for Gary. One slip of paper reminded me of Chute Pond, the county park, and the scenic overlook.  Gary and I had looked for the trail to the overlook before but somehow missed it.  Today, I decided to look again.

After several wrong turns, I found the poorly marked trailhead. I looked at the map and started. The trail was sandy and I knew that on a rainy day, it would be slippery, but this was a sunny, breezy day.  So there were no mosquitoes or other bugs, just a pleasant time in the woods. I wished that I had my aluminum walking stick, however.  The trail proved to be steep.
It was worth the climb.  At the top I found a big rock outcrop.  From there I could look down on Chute Pond and the surrounding area.
If I were to go there with Gary, we would take a picnic lunch and bask in the sunlight.

The most difficult part of a hike is coming down. That is where a walking stick comes in handy getting over the rocks and roots without falling down. It was then that I realized no one knew where I was.  One bad fall and I would be in terrible trouble.  I hadn't even taken my cell phone up to the rock outcrop.  No one else was around on a weekday.  


I went down slowly and made it but I think I will be more careful in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment