Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Churches

When we drove through Tipler yesterday, the closest village to Lost Lake, I noticed a sign that said there was a Lutheran church there.  We'd never seen it so we went looking for it.  Sure enough, there it was St. Paul's Emmanuel Lutheran Church of the Wisconsin Synod.

One look at that roof and I wondered how long it would be standing. I'm not sure I would feel that comfortable sitting in a pew.  It would seem there is not much future for that church but you never know. My brother used to be a pastor at a small church in northern Wisconsin that was on its last legs, held up only by the endless pastie suppers the congregants held. This past year, a long time summer visitor, died and left the church a bundle, so much they don't know quite what to do with it. But that church will be around for a few more decades.

The Tipler church is just one of the three churches served by its female pastor.  She starts her Sunday with services in Tipler at 7:15 a.m. followed by St. John's Lutheran in Florence at 9:00 and ending with St. Mark's in Iron River at 11:00.  Tires me out just thinking about that.

Gary suggested I go to church services in Tipler while he waits outside for the fire and brimstone when God finds out what I am like. I think God can figure that out even while I am in bed here at Lost Lake.

------
Gary and I began our search for northern property in earnest today. More on that as things develop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment