Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Circle Tour - Day Three and Four

Yesterday, I was to take the 2:40 ferry to Drummond Island to be met at the other end by Nancy, my hostess for the night.  It didn't work out that way.

I got the Suburu in the line at the dock, but almost immediately I was waved onto the ferry. It seems that sometimes the ferries "go wild" when it gets too busy and do extra runs, throwing the schedule off. I arrived at Drummond Island half an hour early.  No Nancy.

I turned on the cell phone to find messages from Nancy.  It seems she was on her way home to the island and was on the 2:40 ferry where she expected to see a green Subaru.  We got it all straightened out when she arrived.

Nancy brought me to her home on a Lake Huron bay after picking up Charlie, her little dog who should be in movies, he's so cute. He had been staying with friends while Nancy was on the mainland. We sat on the deck and listened to the gulls call and watched the cormorants fly by. Cormorants are not popular with the fisher folk in these parts.
Nancy fed me chicken and the trimmings then it was back to looking at the water and talking until we were both tired and went to bed.  Houses on Drummond Island are never air conditioned because the lake cools them, but there was a heat wave this week.  No quilts needed.  

This morning, Nancy called her friend Pooh.  The three of us are divorced so we happily dissed men over eggs and cinnamon toast.  Then we went for a drive around the island.  They showed me all the buildings a pizza tycoon built on the island, throwing his weight around until he became so unpopular he gave up and sold out.  The hotel and condos are still there. I told Nancy how much I liked cemeteries so we kept looking for a Finnish cemetery she knew existed.  We finally found it but it was very small and modern.

As in Door County, the lake frontage is covered with cottages, so much so that from the road, we could only catch glimpses of the lake.  

We got back in time for me to prepare for the program at the Drummond Island Library.  It was billed as a performance for children, but in fact there were only five little girls and many grandparents. I adapted my program for a senior citizen audience with asides for the little girls.  It worked wonderfully though I knew if it had been five little boys, it would have been a disaster.

Afterward Pooh, Pam and Nancy posed for a photo with me.
One of my biggest worries on this trip was making the ferry back to the mainland so I could get to the Cedarville library in time.  Not to worry,the ferries were still running wild.  I got onto the ferry half an hour before the schedule.  Trucks running double loads of logs were the reason for the extra runs.

So I arrived at Cedarville in plenty of time to get a cappuccino at the BP.  Rather than trying to find a good place to eat, I came directly to the air conditioned library. For lunch I ate chocolate chip cookies intended for the children who were coming to storytime.  I didn't eat them all and this time I had a small group of children for the afternoon performance.

My plan was to stay at a local park tonight but the heat index is 98 degrees.  Jane, the head librarian, offered me a bed for tonight.  I think I will take her up on that after my performance tonight in Pickford.


No comments:

Post a Comment