Thursday, July 18, 2013

Circle Tour - Day Four and Five

The Pickford Public Library is a "baby library", only 2-1/2 years old.  While it is still struggling for money, it has had some amazing accomplishments.  With the help of grants, there is extensive programming. There is a teenage writers group who have just printed out a collection of their stories and drawings. There's a heritage seed exchange. The librarian said they had no classics section to start with so she began one with contributed books.

Afterwards, I drove to find Jane's house which is even farther than the "boonies".  I worried that I was lost but no, I finally found her modern home, complete with hot tub, deep in the forest.  She and I sat on the porch with our feet up drinking wine and watching dozens of hummingbirds at her feeders.

There is a continuing saga of divorced librarians as I travel.  We have so many stories about the men who done us wrong that our time is mostly spent dissing ex-husbands. We all get along with help from our friends.

Next morning, after strawberries, blueberries and peaches, Jane sent me on my way.

I had to cash the checks from the night before, fill up with gas and get a cappuccino in Pickford, then I followed the signs to Sault Ste Marie.  The problem was that what should have been a short cut to the border entry didn't work out because a bridge was out. I had to fool around for almost two hours before I arrived at the bridge over the locks.  It was a quick entry.  Canadians are mellow when  it comes to letting US citizens into the country.  I know it is much worse going the other way.

I first stopped at the welcome center to change my US money to Canadian currency.  There are always fluctuations but at the moment the US dollar is worth more than the Canadian loonie.  A year ago it was just the opposite.

Then I drove to the Glenview Cottages and Campground where Gary and I stayed a year ago. The heat index was still at 98 degrees F. so I decided against camping.  Instead I decided on a cottage with air conditioning and was glad I did. It was cool, the bed was perfect, there was a full kitchenette.  There was cable television, too, but I decided that Canadian TV also has nothing worth watching.  They do carry our public television, but the Fox Network has been banned from Canadian airwaves.  It is propaganda, they say, and I think they are right. No matter what Fox broadcasters say, the Canadians like their health service.Oh, there are occasional problems but it could be worse.  It could be ours.  Obamacare should change that.

Check out the Glenview services at http://glenviewcottages.com/

I quickly changed to performance clothes, grabbed the autoharp and set off for the Sault Ste Marie library. After circling the area four times, I finally stopped for directions and arrived for the afternoon performance just in time.  I was scribbling my notes with a selection of stories and songs suitable for children when my audience began to filter in and I realized that once again, there had been some kerfuffle.  These were senior citizens.  So ever adaptable, I changed my performance as I went along.  Still, this is getting wearing!  I like to know what I am doing ahead of time!

That done, I drove back to my cottage, picking up a supper of fish and chips (but not poutine) on the way.  I spent the evening catching up with paperwork and my journals.  


No comments:

Post a Comment