Friday, July 19, 2013

Circle Tour - Day 6

Tours are never what I think they will be.

I woke up to rain at the Glenview Cottages.  I had to get out of my air conditioned haven and move out by 11:00 a.m.  I had brought all my gear in the night before.  I re-sorted and put things in order.  Two days before everything had gotten messed up when the passenger seat alarm went off.  I had piled too much stuff there without first buckling up the seat belt. I threw everything in the back.  Now I had several hours to re-organize.

I packed everything up and went to the office and signed up for one of the little camper cabins for that night, thereby saving over $60 Canadian dollars.  No shower, no air conditioning, no toilet. No TV either, but Canadian television is only marginally better than ours....and that is because the Canadian government has refused to allow Fox News.

All the cabin had was beds.  I could have set my tent up and saved another $20 but the rain kept on coming. A cabin was a better idea.



With only one or two intervals of blue sky, rain was the predominant weather.

I went into Sault Ste. Marie to see what I could find but other than a grocery store, a Dollarama (like the Dollar Tree) and a re-sale shop, there wasn't much to interest me.  In an hour, I bought two oranges.

I drove north on Highway 17 to see if I could locate a village post office to mail Evan's postcard.  No luck there, but I did drive through some back roads that general store clerks said would get me there. They didn't but I saw some mighty fine scenery.

Back at the campground, I did my laundry for something to do.

Finally, it was time for the evening's performance at a retirement center.  I'd been there a year ago and wondered if anyone remembered me.  Boy, did they!  They had been looking forward to this.  They were a wonderful audience, singing with me, laughing at the right places, and asking me about Gary whom they remembered waited in the van for me.  I'd had to rush off before they were finished talking to me.  No problem this year, I hung around for almost an hour.

By then, the clouds were really dark.  I drove home in sheeting rain.

At the campground, I drove directly to my little cabin that had been in an isolated area that morning. No more.  There was some kind of family gathering with tents, loud music, dogs and small children. A cacophony.  They had tarps all over the place and had no intention of going to bed, even in the downpour.

I drove back to the office where I got a key to a different cabin.  Luckily, I had never moved into the first selection.  After all, I only needed to  sleep there, no hurry.  While I waited for the rain to slow a bit, I sat in the office and worked on e-mail and business.  Damp campers came into the lounge and talked about the rain going all the way to Thunder Mountain.  They had abandoned their plans to sign the guest register at Glen Valley Cottages. Tornadoes had been spotted and that is rare in Canada.

An hour later, it was sprinkling. I pulled a sleeping bag and pillow into the cabin, went back out for a flashlight, a water bottle and my trusty overnight pee pot. 

The humidity broke.  I slept through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment