Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Circle Tour - Day Four

Yesterday was a storytelling day at Drummond Island Public Library
at Cedarville

 and at Pickford.

Cedarville is the biggest library, but I was surprised that Jane, the district manager, is part time. The library is big but understaffed.  Jane manages by working more hours than she is paid for.

I wish I had taken pictures of the Pickford library.  It's a "baby library", just created 2-1/2 years ago by volunteers.  It's in a store front but there is so much thought put into every nook and cranny.  Teenagers have their own spot where they can create stories.  There's a heritage seed exchange.  There are comfortable places to sit and a small wi fi corner.  This is a struggling library that needs to find funding to keep going.

When I was done performing, I drove deep into the forest to find Jane's house. It is a dream house, modern yet part of the woods.  We sat with our feet up on the deck watching the dozens of hummingbirds at the feeder and trading stories from our lives.

In fact, almost all the women I've been meeting on this trip are divorced as I am.  So we diss the men in our lives and enjoy ourselves in the dissing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment