Sunday, May 5, 2013

Garden Planning

Suddenly, the gardens are popping.  From one tulip and a handful of daffodils four days ago, I have thousand of flowers today.  The beds are filling up faster than I can clear the winter's refuse. Yet I must.

Gary's camper will be ready for us on May 14.  He wants to be at a national forest campground a couple of days after that.  I absolutely must clear the gardens and plant so that I can join him. I have about 40 beds and only fifteen cleared so far. In the next ten days, I must finish three beds a day.

Today I cleared two beds, one big,one small, and with Gary's help, began the vegetable garden. He rototilled the plot which gets bigger each year. I planted onions and peas, which can take take the cold we expect Wednesday night. So can the pansies and dianthus. Once we get past that day, I think we'll have clear sailing.

Tomorrow, Gary and I will go to the garden center that he used to run before he retired.  We'll buy the extra plants I need including the geraniums, marigolds, and lobelia I want to put up at the cemetery.

Meanwhile, I keep growing tomato plants that I first started in planters in February. They are on the front porch, but we'll haul everything in on Wednesday night and put the pots back out on Thursday morning. I'll plant beans and carrots, okra and herbs. Marigolds, geraniums, cosmos, zinnias, morning glories and more will go into pots. Then let summer come!


No comments:

Post a Comment