Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Trail


It was just about a year ago that my cousin Charles, his partner Sean and their friend Chris started their hike on the Pacific Crest Trail.  They documented their adventure as best they could using a cell phone whenever they could find coverage.  I followed along with my own map of the trail.  When they were unable to find a signal to post their reports, I worried. But mostly, I wished I was there.

I am sixty-nine now but it isn't age that keeps me away from the trail, it is arthritis. It isn't bad and I still take long walks, but I know my knees wouldn't let me climb the mountain trails. All I could do was dream.

This week Sean posted this video record of the "class of 2012" on Facebook with the faces of those who managed to walk the entire 2,260 Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada.

http://vimeo.com/65233793

Besides the faces of the young and not so young people who embarked on this journey, there are the Trail Angels, the folks who live beside the trail who welcome the hikers into their homes and provide them with food and housing.  There is the "trail magic" of finding bottled water, sandwiches, chips or candy left beside the trail, so welcome to hikers who have been subsisting on freeze dried food or ramen noodles.

Above all there is the wonderful scenery the hikers photographed from the trail.

I welcome my readers to live the experience by watching the video.

When you see the bearded guy with the swollen ankle that's my cousin Charles.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment