Saturday, May 11, 2013

Cold Snap

The spring flowers began coming at the end of April. The snowdrops and crocuses came and went and will not be seen again until 2014. Right now the daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths are making a grand showing. The rain of the past two days pepped them up just when I thought they might dry up.

I've been working on the gardens for several weeks now, clearing the beds and planting early vegetables like onions and peas. The past week I found really good buys on flower sets. I began putting them into pots right away, the ones that will go throughout the gardens, but planted nothing in the ground. Wisconsin in May has unpredictable temperatures. I put all the flower pots on or next to the front deck.


Sure enough, starting tonight, we're having a cold snap that will last until Monday morning. I moved all the pots and remaining sets into the garage.

Until Monday, that's where they have to stay.  I will open the garage door when the sun rises tomorrow morning as soon as it is warm enough so they can get some sun.

The extended forecast suggests that the following two weeks will be warm and that brings us to Memorial Day.  After that, the plants will be safe.

On Monday, with a good start, the pots go to their summer homes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment