Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Subaru Outback

Gary decided I needed a better car.  I've had the Mercury Sable for five years but I've put on a lot of miles and lately, minor repairs have been adding up.

I queried friends about the best choice of cars.  The Subaru Outback got the most votes.  I had to admit the heated seats sounded good in a state with such cold winters, but good miles per gallon got my attention, too. I liked that it would be roomy enough for me to camp in it on rainy nights when I couldn't put up the tent. I decided a used Subaru was exactly what I needed, one with a few miles and perhaps a dent or two.

Gary started doing his Internet research.  He finally found plenty of used vehicles at Gustman's in Appleton. They had a fleet of cars that had been rented out or leased, all with extremely low mileage on the odometers. Yesterday we went there and began to look around.  Ed came out to talk to us immediately.

I have never been fond of car salesmen, especially the kind that play mind games with their customers but Ed was different. Right away I felt he was dealing with us honestly.  I did a test drive on a used vehicle and liked it fine. Gary did some preliminary bargaining but we decided to come home to think it over.

Gary researched some more and found another dealership with lower prices, called and came up with better figures.  We took those figures back Gustman's in Appleton. Along the way, he began to dicker about a new Subaru, figuring out for $2,000 more he could swing it.

By this afternoon, he and Ed worked out a new deal.  Tonight we own a 2013 Subaru Outback.
Gary and I hold the title jointly.  He plans on driving it, too because its excellent mileage is better than his van  has.  

Thinking back, Gary realized he hadn't had a new car since the late Sixties when he came home for the army to buy a Corvette.  When I was married, we once had a new Pinto and later a Jeep.  Both of them were lemons, but I suspect we'll do better this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment