Friday, May 17, 2013

Rummage Sale Buys

Despite the constant rain, Gary and I went out to the Friday rummage sales that always happen before the Saturday citywide sale.  They're often run by those who want their rummage sales on Friday to get rid of stuff so they can go to the ones the next day to buy more stuff.

Gary found a trolling motor and a few other things.  I found a pair of baskets for the grand total of five cents. At two sales, I found fake vines to put in my two window boxes at the back of the house.  If I were going to be around most of the summer, I would put in real flowers but with all the camping and traveling I wouldn't be able to water them twice a day.

I found an Ambercrombie and Fitch man's shirt, nicely embossed with the store's logo.  A&F stores no longer stock sizes larger than 10 for women because as the chain's CEO explained, they don't want overweight older women in their store, just attractive young women. So now I can wear my very own A&F shirt when I visit their store ... and I intend to visit a lot.

But the best purchase was a screened tent. I wanted to have a local authors site at the weekly farmers' market here in Seymour.  I thought the $25 fee for the summer was OK, one book sold a week would cover that, but having to buy a canopy or tent was beyond my budget so had pretty much forgotten about the idea until we saw that tent. This afternoon I talked to Francine and Lorelei who share manager's duties at the market.  They said they would have a spot for me to set up whenever I am in town.

Tonight Gary and I set up the tent so that the Manzke family can use it when they hold their rummage sale at my house. It should work well for that, too.

Tomorrow, I'll go out rummaging again looking for lightweight folding tables for the books in our local authors' tent.  Will I be lucky again?  

No comments:

Post a Comment