Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Flowers and Birds

I've always said that writers need things to go wrong to find stories. Perfect days may be wonderful to live through but they offer nothing to the readers. So I apologize right away because this was as close to a perfect day as could be.

It was another superb spring day, warm and calm with occasional light rain to provide what my flowers need.  I worked in the garden.  I kept watch for an unusual visitor. A couple of days ago the birds in my back yard were screaming in anger and panic.  I looked out the window to see a big black bird on the gazebo.  I had seen the same bird elsewhere in town once before.  I thought it was a huge crow but when I called out to it with my best "caw, caw!" it flew a few feet away and grumbled back with a "gronk" and I knew it was a raven, something we usually see only in the north woods.

He was a no show today.

Today I was deadheading the daffodils and hyacinths, now done for the year. The tulips are going that way, too, but I had enough to make up a sizable bouquet for my neighbor Elaine. She is trying to sell her house and in case buyers come to the conclusion that her neighbor is a crazy gardener, they should know living next door to me does come with perks in the way of flowers for every occasion.

Gary wanted me to go to the Manzke farm to help with the camper so I took Susan some tomato plants. At one time I had about seventy of them, all started from seed in the house. I took her Roma, beefsteak and cherry tomato varieties.  My own plants, the ones I started in February, are already flowering.  I should have fresh tomatoes in about three weeks.

While I was sitting with Susan at the kitchen table, we could see a rose-breasted grosbeak at the feeders. When we camp at Laura Lake, they'll be so many we'll be saying "ho hum" but the first of the season is always a thrill.

Later, Gary suggested a drive to Van Patten Road.  There, we saw our favorites. There were more ruddy ducks than I've ever seen in one place.  As usual, there were plenty of Canada geese but now they were joined by newly hatched goslings, little fuzz balls toddling after their parents on shaky webbed feet.

Later, near the Oneida buffalo farm, we found a gang of sandhill cranes socializing in a field.

'
As I said, no exciting story here, just a satisfactory day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment